Putting squeak in business.

Chris Burkert chris at chrisburkert.de
Mon Nov 17 13:07:29 UTC 2003

Alan Grimes wrote:
>>I recently talked with Prof. Dr. Baumgartl (Operating Systems),
>>and we came to the conclusion that people should stop reinventing
>>the wheel.
>

> If he likes unix then he doesn't know anything about operating systems.

I think that it's not important if somebody likes this or that.
The problem is, that most people like different things! Why are
you so certain that most people will like your implementation?

I don't want to discourage you, but what, speaking in business
terms, is the unique selling point of your idea? I can run squeak
on my FreeBSD and surf with Mozilla. So what's really new?
Business is not only about quality, but also about segregation,
warranty, emotions and lots of other things. If you cannot stand
out against your competition, why should this success?

Sure, your idea is exciting, but you said that you want to put it
in business. I would recommend you to find a balance between
dreams and business reality.

The other thing would be to make something really new. A
completely new operating system which builds on top of research
ideas and, above all, the *needs* of the users. There are
hundrets of people who think about object oriented operating
systems. Then you could repair drawbacks of the existing systems.
And of course every system, including squeak has drawbacks!

Regards
            Chris Burkert
--
http://www.chrisburkert.de/