Setting break points

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Mon Nov 17 19:43:20 UTC 2003

Am 17.11.2003 um 19:49 schrieb ducasse:

>>> I would love to have breakpoints in but I do not know the extra
>>> complexity
>>
>> I have looked into this a bit.
>>
>> Terry Raymond's (Crafted Smalltalk) excellent
>
> Ye I use it and this is great!
>
> My point was more what this cs in squeak implies.

Just had a look at it: It's quite simple... maybe even too simple.
The way it works is that a new method is compiled with "self break"
in the first line.

It does: compile the method to get the AST. Then add a "self break"
statement as the first statement, return the source, compile a method,
install in methodDict, remember original.

Browser is changed to have a "toggle breakpoint", methods with
breakpoint are shown bold in the browser.

Problem: the browser shows the code of the newly compiled
methods, that is: pretty-printed, no comments "self break" in
the first line. You can even accept the method...

So pretty simple, we can do better I think. But maybe we could
add this as a first step. Dont know...

      Marcus

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de