Mac VM 3.6.1b5

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Nov 18 00:29:03 UTC 2003

Ha, well trying to test 16/32 to 8 bits I find out that if I pick 8
bits from the monitor control panel I get 8 bits on the screen, yet the
windows are still setup as 16bits and somewhere, the GPU I'd guess maps
16bits to 8bits for the display. So when I ask for the window
resolution it cheerfully says 16bits!!! Needness to say this makes
debugging hard, well off to find an older mac to test with, say one
from 8 years back...

This means I suspect picking 256 color from your mac's monitor control
panel might just work by default on
most macs out there. So feedback on this is welcome.

On Nov 17, 2003, at 3:38 PM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> ..Well maybe I'll consider that tomorrow.

===