Unicode support (File names was Re: Warning: Large Babel translation)

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Tue Nov 18 03:18:47 UTC 2003

  Hello,

  I wrote:

> > >   Well, don't worry about it.  Your code won't be affected by the m17n
> > > stuff too much.  The ASCII world in Squeak will more or less stays the
> > > same.
> >
> > It will affect me if I write a primitive that accepts strings as
> > arguments.  It will also affect me if my 90 MB type inference image
> > stops loading.
>
>   It will, but it will anyway if you choose an internal representaion
> other than today's String, which you will need to do anyway.

  This may require a bit more clarification...  I don't know what is
in that 90MB image, but if you rewrite your code a bit, probably
changing the test against "String" to "AbstractString" your code may
well work fine (or maybe not.)  Even for that kind of meta-level
program, the change should be pretty small.

  I actually don't understand what you meant by "stops loading,"
though.  Are you worrying about the image won't run on a (new) VM?
Then, you really don't have to worry about it.

-- Yoshiki