help with SoundRecorder

Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus schwa at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Nov 18 05:24:58 UTC 2003

Hello,

I have an application with two modes: "edit" (where user input is
logged, and audio is recorded), and "history" (where a slider bar
allows you to traverse to any state created by the user input).  If
you want, you can use the slider to rewind to a point before an
undesired modification, and then switch back to "edit" mode and carry
on with further input.

Perhaps it would be better if I am a bit more concrete.  Assume that
the program starts in "edit" mode, and the user performs various
operations with the mouse for 20 seconds, at the same time as
speaking.  The user then switches to "history" mode, and uses the
slider bar to recreate the state of the program as it was after 15
seconds.  Switching back to "edit" mode causes the last 5 seconds of
mouse input and audio data to be truncated; subsequent audio and mouse
input are appended after the 15-second mark.

Ok, I think that's clear enough.  My question is about how to make
this work with SoundRecorder.  If I have an instance of SoundRecorder
that has recorded 20 seconds of audio, how can I stop recording, seek
to the 15 second mark, truncate everything after it, and append
subsequent audio after that point?

Another question deals with synchronization... assume that I record
several minutes of audio and mouse input, and that I want to later
replay both the audio and user input simulaneously.  Are there any
synchronization issues I ought to be aware of?  Asked another way, do
I have to do anything special to ensure that the user input and audio
do not become out-of-sync?

Many thanks,
Joshua