Newbie fonts

hanouna marcus marcus8 at 012.net.il
Tue Nov 18 17:23:19 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yoshiki Ohshima" <Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org>
To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers list"
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 7:43 AM
Subject: Re: Newbie fonts

>   Hello,
>
> > I'm trying to write Hebrew in squeak, using all type of Fonts
(NativeWinFont, accuFont, ttf). I can produce all letter
> > except one: U+05E0 (in Unicode) it's N in Hebrew. I'm using windowsXP.
The same effect can be produce by copping from
> > "Character Map" and pasting it to workspace in squeak it's appearing as
space.
> > I can't figure up what is the process from keying something to display
it in squeak.

>   Wow.  Can you elaborate what you did a bit more?
>
>   What version of Squeak do you use?
>
>   When you say you can produce, what exactly does it mean?  See the
> rendered glyph in someway?
>
>   What is the Character Map (is the the Windows application?)
>
>   What do you see when you evaluate:
>     '$'<your character> asciiValue
>   or if it is possible?
>
>   I'm so curious.  Please let me know.
>
> -- Yoshiki

Hello Yoshiki.

Thanks for your interest.

I'm using squeak 3.6 and fontplugin.dll with "Arial Unicode MS" (a huge
file).
I can type the entire letters and display them in all windows of squeak,
except one letter:  the Nun in Hebrew. (Its number in Unicode: U+05E0 or $
asciiValue - 253). Always I receive one space without anything in it.

I tried to use others font from Windows or using accuFont, TTF but its
always failed.

The same result appear with the Spanish version (3.5 from SmallLand), and
with m17n - the Japanese version. Always the cursor moves one space.

I think the problem is the way squeak translate or represent external font
in the Image file. I don't know.

The Character Map is Windows application. (From windowsXP: Start -
Accessories - System Tools - Character Map. then copying the letter from
Unicode Subrange Hebrew).

Thank you.

-- Marcus.