Dealing with spam

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Wed Nov 19 14:24:12 UTC 2003

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 14:29:10 +0100, Bruce ONeel <edoneel at sdf.lonestar.org>
wrote:

> You probaby responded and I then likely deleted it in my
> morning triage of email (200+ spam per day and rising).

I use an open-source spam filter called POPFile
(http://popfile.sourceforge.net). Its written in Perl, so it will run on
any machine that supports that.

It sets up a proxy pop3 server on your local machine, and you configure
your email client to talk to it.

It has a web interface for management, and it works fantastically well.
Combined with some manual filtering on my email client (Agent), I get
virtually no spam in my inbox (maybe a couple messages a day), and pretty
much no non-spam messages end up in my spam folder.

And yes, I get a lot of spam. Since October 16, I've received 10,270
messages, of which 6,538 were spam. POPFile has made 19 errors in that time
that I corrected (which were all spam not being identified as spam), and
probably 20-30 that I didn't bother to reclassify.

Without it, I would find email unbearable...

Later,
Jon