[OT] Debian dependencies, was: Re: Dependencies, Squeak Code Control...

Ingo Hohmann uysl0l402 at sneakemail.com
Wed Nov 19 21:54:58 UTC 2003

Hi Jimmie,

Jimmie Houchin wrote:
<...>
> It would find every stinking optional works with MySQL package in the
> 6000+ package Debian system. I would get Perl, Python, Ruby, Scheme, ...
> and on and on libraries for MySQL. Ugh and yuck.
>
> This causes/caused a maintainence nightmare. Now I am constantly
> downloading, updating, and configuring software I didn't select, want,
> desire or need.
<...>

If you are using aptitude, you can use F10 to get into the menu, then go
to options / dependency handling. There you can check if you want
rcommended and suggested packages to be installed automatically.

I don't know about the other packaging tools, though.

After the fact deborphan and debfoster may be helpfull to clean up a
little, but I must admit I haven't felt courageous enough to try it, so
far ;-)

Just in case it might be usefull to someone,

Kind regards,

Ingo