Mac VM 3.6.1b5 (8bit check required)

raymondasselin at sympatico.ca raymondasselin at sympatico.ca
Wed Nov 19 22:06:14 UTC 2003

> Hi, I need some mac users who are using the mac carbon vm 3.6.1b5 to
> check what happens
> if you switch to 8bit (256) colors and launch an image. I suspect os-x
> always constructs the window
> graphics port as 16bit (thousands) or 32bit (millions) then lets the
> graphics card deal with the 8bit
> rendering.
>
> Mind  I don't have proof. Hint, if you switch to 8bit and launch squeak
> then get a white screen, then I've a
> candidate VM for you to test.

Hi John, I tried what you asked for. I set my monitor to 256 colours and launch Squeak 3.6
with 3.6.1b5 VM everything seem fine except for the granulosity of the display...but this is
OK, this is'nt a nuisance.

After I set the death of Squeak to 8 bits and I did'nt see much difference as when it was at 32
bits.