[Seaside] Squeak async i/o performrance, was Re: HTTP Performance

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Thu Nov 20 13:36:01 UTC 2003

Adjusting the backlog size has almost no effect...keep in mind that:

 requests/second ~= socket connections / second

They are not equivalent because the keep-alive feature of Http 1.1
allows multiple request to be sent on a single socket.  However,
adjusting the backlog and turning off keep-alive still doesn't seem to
affect rps very much.  Also, I've recently seen higher rps than 50, so I
don't think that 50 rps is somehow magical.  However, as best I can
tell, there is still a large amount of idle time while a benchmark is
running against a comanche server.  Outbound socket connections suffer
as well.   Profiling about 2 seconds worth of ab benchmarking shows that
around 70% of the time is spent waiting on semaphores...this tells me
that either those semaphores are not getting signaled in a timely
fashion, or there is an excessive latency between the time a semaphore
is signaled and when a waiting process wakes up.  These are semaphores
being signaled from the VM in OS threads that deal with socket
activity.  Could it help if we explicitly yield the processor to the
interpreter thread everytime an external semaphore is signaled?  Or,
perhaps we could make better decisions about which squeak processes need
to run after processing the external semaphores that are marked for
signaling?

- Stephen