deficience in Squeak

Peter van Rooijen peter at vanrooijen.com
Sat Nov 22 01:33:40 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "ye juan" <yejuan_1204 at yahoo.com.cn>
To: <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 22, 2003 1:49 AM
Subject: deficience in Squeak

> Hi,
>   I have developed in visualworks 5i.4 from Cincom
> Corporation,=
>  another Smalltalk platform. Now I will develop some
> applications=
>  in Squeak, however, I find many basic methods
> disappearing, such=
>  as "matchesPattern: ignoreCase: do:". So I want to
> know whether=
>  this is deficient in Squeak, or there exist some
> better methods=
>  to replace the old ones.

This type of thing is simply not very standardized across dialects.

> What is more,  if a new
> method contains=
>  unknown methods, which will be defined in the future,
> then it=
>  can not be accepted. I think it is not convinient for
> developing=
>  application.

You can still accept anyway. But it's a drag that the system often tries to
help so intrusively. This is one of the things I like least in Squeak.

Recently I defined a class X and gave it a class instance variable. A
message popped up saying something like "X is an existing class in the
system, changing it is not recommended. Proceed anyway?". Turns out there
was nothing special going on anyway (at least not that I've noticed).

Just keep at it. Squeak has a charm all of its own.

Peter