deficience in Squeak

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Sun Nov 23 11:03:49 UTC 2003

Yes, it's really long overdue for someone to create a much slicker
and easier-to-use and more attractive and more flexible alternative
to the Preferences tool.

Ideally, the replacement would be a more general "Control Panels"
tool, with a pluggable architecture, which could provide centralized
and principled and *searchable* access to all system settings.  As
such, it would subsume the existing Preferences tool, as well as
almost everything currently found in the Appearance menu, and some of
the things currently in the Help menu, and perhaps things in the
Flaps menu, etc.

As Peter suggests, a browser-like interface would probably be a nice
alternative.

SqueakMap would be an ideal place for new and better Preferences
tools to start appearing...

Meantime, FWIW, here's a little snippet that will produce a window
that lists the names and descriptions of all the existing preferences:

----------

| aString |
aString _ String streamContents: [:aStream |
     (Preferences allPreferenceObjects asSortedCollection: [:a  :b | a
name < b name]) do:
       [:pref |
         (pref helpString beginsWith: pref name) ifFalse:
           [aStream nextPutAll: pref name; cr].
         aStream nextPutAll: pref helpString.
         aStream cr; cr]].
(Workspace new contents: aString) openLabel: 'Preferences'

--------

Cheers,

  -- Scott