[ENH] IntegerPrintOpt-gk

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Tue Nov 25 17:11:53 UTC 2003

from preamble:

"Change Set:		IntegerPrintOpt-gk
Date:			25 November 2003
Author:			Göran Krampe

Improvement of Integer>>printOn:base: spurred by results comparing
SharpSmallalk with Squeak. I have borrowed John's implementation and
merged it with the old one.

It is about up to 3 times faster than the old code.

Read method comments, printOn2:base: is the one recommended for
inclusion.

Some test code, use print-it (third one is my recommendation):

b _ 1000 factorial.
a _ (1 to: 10) collect: [:i | b].
{Time millisecondsToRun: [
	String streamContents: [:str | a do: [:aa | aa printOn: str base:
10]]].
Time millisecondsToRun: [
	String streamContents: [:str | a do: [:aa | aa  printOn1: str base:
10]]].
Time millisecondsToRun: [
	String streamContents: [:str | a do: [:aa | aa  printOn2: str base:
10]]].
Time millisecondsToRun: [
	String streamContents: [:str | a do: [:aa | aa  printOn3: str base:
10]]]}"!