Welcome new Guide: Marcus Denker

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Thu Nov 27 05:24:01 UTC 2003

As most of you know, Daniel Vainsencher retired recently as one of the
six Squeak Guides.

The remaining Guides discussed what we should do to find a replacement
Guide.  We decided that, since this was the first replacement, we'd go
the simpler route and choose someone that we all agreed on, as opposed
to having some sort of election.  At some point in the future, we would
like to have a more formal election process, or possibly even re-think
the current scheme of having exactly six Guides who rotate every 6-24
months.  Some brainstorming on this topic would be welcome.  (For
example, one possible tool for voting in elections would be the trust
metrics from the Squeak People site.)

Anyway, for choosing the next Guide, we wanted someone who we thought
was competent and had also been doing Guide-related work as a volunteer.
 Several people could probably fill this role, but we decided to offer
it to Marcus Denker, who has been doing a lot of work as a harvester,
working on incorporating larger items such as SmaCC, maintaining the
BaseImageTests package, etc.

So, welcome Marcus!

Marcus' exact role as a Guide has not been explicitly mapped out, but it
could certainly include the work he's already doing with harvesting and
testing infrastructure.

I've updated the Guides page at:

http://swiki.squeakfoundation.org/squeakfoundation/70

Note that the Guides are a group of unpaid volunteers, and one certainly
does not have to be a Guide to do important volunteer work for Squeak. :-)

- Doug Way & the Guides