[TFNR] Looking for maintainers!

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Fri Nov 28 23:44:20 UTC 2003

diegogomezdeck at consultar.com wrote:

>> Volunteers?
>>

> I want to postulate myself to be the maintainer (or one of the
> maintainers)
> of eToys and to be the "assembler" (or one of the assemblers) of the Full-
> Image.

> MediaSqueak (aka Full-Image):
>
> For the Full-Image the goal is to make this distribution
> the "MediaSqueak".  The full image has to include all the media stuff
> available in SM (Connectors, More graphics files support, Video
> Processing,
> TTF, etc).  Also the full image has to include all the languages available
> for Babel and some good initial look&feel.
>
> Since SqC moves away we're working to have less in the image I think we
> need somebody that can take care of giving more in the full-image.
>

> What can I offer:
>
> Since January/2004 (or before) I'll have a full-time job with Squeak
> working with the folks from LinEx project.  Just now we're using a
> customized 3.5 based image (The Small-Land's one).
>
> My plan is to combine these 2 projects and build the Small-Land image on
> top of the full one.

I guess there are a couple of aspects to being in charge of the Full Image:

1. Deciding which packages should be part of the Full release.  There
are a number of things which would be good to add (Connectors, etc.),
and occasionally something needs to be removed (such as PWS).  These
would of course stay as packages on SqueakMap and would be added to the
"Upgrade to Full" script, but would not be added to the update stream.
But they would be in the Full image download for 3.7 and future releases.

2. Working on the appearance and runtime content of the Full release
image itself (as opposed to the packages/source code).  For example,
right now, the 3.6 final release looks a lot like the 3.4 & 3.2
releases, except for some updates to the Welcome window.  Lots of other
things could be updated/improved, such as the projects which appear in
Worlds of Squeak, etc.  I didn't have much time to work on this myself,
since I was more focused on maintaining the update stream.

So, if you want to take responsibility for #2, that would be great.  And
you could also be in charge of #1 if you'd like, although this would
involve more coordination with the Guides & the community when deciding
which packages should be in or out.

As you said in another message, I think keeping Full the same as the
Media release is a good idea for now.

- Doug