lights in B3D

Boris Gaertner Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net
Sun Nov 30 11:34:16 UTC 2003

From: Stéphane Rollandin <lecteur at zogotounga.net>

<snip>
> I found that the two demo examples:
>
> B3DDemoSurfaces example2
> B3DDemoSurfaces example3
>
> give a dark display (in a 3.6-5424 image). I guess there is something
wrong
> there,
</snip>

 The problem is that a method in the instance protocol of
B3DIndexedMesh was changed. Four years ago it read:

vertexNormals
 ^vtxNormals ifNil:[vtxNormals _ self computeVertexNormals].

Now it is:

vertexNormals
 ^vtxNormals

The new method does not compute missing vertex normals.
As a consequence, we cannot any longer  write

   mesh := B3DIndexedTriangleMesh  new.
   mesh vertices: vtx contents;
          texCoords: tex contents;
           faces: faces.
  mesh vertexNormals.

when we set up a mesh, we have to write

   mesh := B3DIndexedTriangleMesh  new.
   mesh vertices: vtx contents;
          texCoords: tex contents;
          faces: faces.
  mesh vertexNormals: mesh computeVertexNormals.

For your convenience I attached a change file. Please
file it in. It will give color to the examples you mentioned.

Thank you a lot for bringing my attention to this bug.
Boris.