Subtle (?) Morphic Design questions

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Wed Oct 1 00:21:06 UTC 2003

Hola team-

While implementing a particular morph, I ran right into a question I've
had come up in my brain a million times when doing Morphic programming,
but never actually posed to the list or any gurus:

When you want a morph to be populated with a bunch of strings that won't
need direct manipulation, should you use #drawOn:, or just add a bunch of
StringMorphs?

Being self-taught like most Squeakers, I've not had the benefit of some
general guidelines regarding when you should do things the "Morphic Way"
and when you should use #drawOn:, which while more work, should result in
better performance. I'm of the tendency to just use submorphs- I think
I've created/modified a #drawOn: method only vary rarely. While using
other morphs is definately cleaner conceptually, it may not be the best
thing for performance.

Oh gurus, how judge thee?

Regards,
Aaron

--
  "the end of the human race will be that it will eventually
      die of civilization. "                          :: r. w. emerson