BFAV Considered Harmful For Old Bug Reports

Brent Vukmer bvukmer at blackboard.com
Thu Oct 2 23:59:24 UTC 2003

> Yes.  The BFAV sucks :).  However some significant
> improvement is in the
> works, namely loading the entire list of posts in a very lightweight
> way.
>
> Tim's post was right on.  Filtering posts that people don't
> want to look
> at, grouping related posts, and presenting those groups effectively --
> that is what _really_ needs to get done.
>
> I would welcome help with implementing the AI-engine/Bayesian-filter
> juju that Tim alluded to.

Work is mauling me right now, so I'm not making a lot of progress on the
next release of the BFAV - but let me say again - the next BFAV release
*will* show the list of all posts.  That should be a significant step
forward.

One of my primary goals in creating the BFAV was to make it easier to do
archaelogical digs for treasures hidden in the older parts of the
archives.  I definitely do realize that the current BFAV does (imagine
bold, caps, 34 point font here) *not* meet that goal.

(OK, turn off the huge imaginary font)

I hope to get clear of the work-mauling soon and make some time for BFAV
development.

Regards,
Brent