Squeak Weblog Server - The Challenge

Jim Benson jb at speed.net
Fri Oct 3 02:42:17 UTC 2003

Hi Mark,

Great, glad to have you aboard. I figure it'll take a week or so to fill out
the spec, so we should be looking mid month. I think it would be great if we
could do it before OOPSLA so that we can have a post mortem on the
challenge.

I like the idea of the web calendar, but I think it's a little more
challenging than what I would like for the first attempt at this format. No
reason we can't turn this into a series if our option gets picked up :-)

There are a couple of reasons that I think the calendar is a little more
challenging; when I read this http://www.ozzie.net/blog/2003/09/20.html#a109
(and the resulting firestorm of replies) a few weeks ago, it seems pretty
clear that calendaring isn't exactly cut and dried. Ozzie is the guy who did
Lotus Notes and now Groove Networks, I figure if he's confused about it I
probably should be too. The other reason is that I think that the calendar
involves quite a bit more HTML stuff than I would like for the first try,
I'm thinking that this should first challenge should be as Squeak centric as
we can get it, while at the same time showing that it's fairly easy to
interface to the outside world.

Jim