Idea: "Timeout" submissions?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Oct 3 19:48:20 UTC 2003

Daniel Vainsencher <danielv at netvision.net.il> wrote:
> But there is no system for dealing with bug reports, and therefore they
> are systematically ignored. The only thing that effectively happens with
> bug reports is that if someone else happens to care/know about the bug
> when it is posted, and has time, it might turn into a bug fix. As far as
> I know, nobody bothers to ever [closed] bug reports, because they don't
> bother anyone anyway - nobody is looking at them.

Well, this seems blatantly the wrong way to do things.  We should have a
real bug reporting mechanism.  People should be able to report bugs
without having a fix for them, and those reports should be managed.

It's not like this is a huge burden.  It's much easier to deal with
BUG's than to deal with code changes.  BUG's have states like:

	1. verified or not (and can have a list of people who have verified it)

	2. open/closed, with various flavors of closed: fixed, not-a-bug,
unfixable

> The only kinds of bug reports that matter even a little bit in the long
> run are those that have SUnit tests.

This seems too strong, as well.  If someone downloads Squeak and notices
that clicking at so and so location causes a walkback, they should not
be required to create an SUnit test before they report the bug.

In fact, UI bugs are an area where BUG reports can really help.
Experienced developers don't think of stuff that new users do, and so
don't bump into the bugs.

-Lex