Unit tests vs Assertions (was Generics)

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Oct 7 17:11:05 UTC 2003

Hi phil

have a look at the SUnit tutorial (full of english mistake I wrote)
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/WebPages/Books.html

and the free books: Smalltalk by Example is a must read

http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/WebPages/FreeBooks.html

Stef

On Mardi, oct 7, 2003, at 19:00 Europe/Zurich, Phil Hudson wrote:

>> Phil's heresy has taken a new direction of late, :-)
>
> It's the devil makes me do it... :-)
>
>> so here's a few
>> thoughts on why I prefer SUnit tests over inline assertions for
>> improving the quality of my code.
>
> Excellent post, Colin. Very persuasive. I think I may have to change my
> way of thinking. I can hear the creaking of unused gears in my brain
> going into action. (Oh, it hurts, it hurts...)
>
> I'm beginning to grok this dynamically-typed and incrementally-compiled
> gestalt. Thanks to all for your patience, kindness and humor. I really
> do
> want to get into something more productive than Java, that's why I'm
> sticking with this Smalltalk thing.
>
> <deep breath>Class means nothing. No explanatory or predictive power.
> This is good. Interface does not exist. There is only implementation.
> This is good.<exhales>
>
> There. I said it.<breaks down and cries like a baby>

Prof. Dr. Stephane DUCASSE  	[ | ]
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/
  "if you knew today was your last day on earth, what would you
  do different? ...  especially if,  by doing something different,
  today might not be your last day on earth" Calvin&Hobbes

Open Source Smalltalks: http://www.squeak.org,
http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/smalltalk.html
Free books for Universities at
http://www.esug.org/sponsoring/promotionProgram.html