OOPSLA

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Oct 8 05:10:28 UTC 2003

Doug Way <dway at riskmetrics.com> wrote:

> Ralph Johnson mentioned on the Camp Smalltalk list that the OOPSLA
> folks were now working on arranging some space for Camp Smalltalk.
> There will supposedly be a bookseller's area, so hopefully there will
> be a semi-public gathering area nearby...
As long as 'semi-public' translates to 'no payment needed' we're ok. I
can just about cope with flight costs and cheap accommodation but $250
to register is out of the question.

Aside from anything else there is no chance of there being any talks
worth paying that much for. I can only think of three talks _ever_ that
have been worth the effort of sitting through, which is why I just
don't bother to waste my time anymore. OOPSLA is best understood as a
very long party with a bunch of strangers wandering around the edges
that seem to think they have been invited just because they paid money.
The social contact is what it is really about, not re-recycled papers
by java/c#/.net weenies that know no history.

tim
Useful random insult:- His shared libraries aren't installed.