Package maintenance

Adam Spitz adspitz at yahoo.ca
Thu Oct 9 03:20:47 UTC 2003

Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> I'd be interested in maintaining ST80-Symbols.
> Why that one?  Because it's _small_, and as I've never officially
> maintained anything before, it looks like a good thing to get started with.
> I'll have to be told in some detail how to be a maintainer, though.

ST80-Symbols has no extension methods, so it could just be filed out by
right-clicking the system category in the System Browser. But it's fun
to use Monticello anyway. :) And probably better in the long run. So I'd
recommend installing MCInstaller and Monticello and saving your package
as a .mcz file.

Either way, I imagine the process for becoming the package's maintainer
would be something like:

1) File out the package using one of the above methods.

2) Make the filed-out code available on the web somewhere. (Some people
who don't have their own web space use the Swiki.)

3) Go to the SqueakMap website ( http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/sm )
and register your package (making sure to point the Download URL to the
file that you just made available).

4) Submit a tiny removal changeset to the list. In this particular case,
the changeset can be as simple as:
	Smalltalk organization removeSystemCategory: 'ST80-Symbols'.

5) Ask the mailing list to make sure the community's OK with you taking
ownership of the package. (Probably not a problem. :)

After that, you can do approximately whatever you want. When you have a
new version of the package, put it up on the web and go to the SqueakMap
website to tell it about the new version.

Which details have I omitted that you want to see?

Adam