[OT] Squeak Plugin and patent

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Oct 10 13:34:47 UTC 2003

Hi,

If I understand the changes correctly then the Squeak plugin will be
affected in its current form. The most ridiculous implication of the change
seems to be this:

	"If the OBJECT element used to load the control contains PARAM
elements but none of the PARAM elements specify a source of data external to
the current Web page, then the control does not access remote data."

Given that IE shouldn't even attempt to interpret the contents of the PARAMs
I wonder what "a source of data external to the current Web page" means. The
way I figure it IE is probably looking for URLs in the value of the PARAM -
so we'll have to obfuscate any URLs so they don't look like URLs anymore.

Software patents ... what can you say.

For further reading on this one check out:

The patent:
http://164.195.100.11/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&
u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1='5838906'.WKU.&OS=PN/5838906&RS=PN/5
838906

The owner:
http://www.eolas.com/

The /. thread: