duplicateControlAndAltKeys by default?

Martin Wirblat sql.mawi at t-link.de
Fri Oct 10 21:49:55 UTC 2003

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote on 10.10.2003 20:15:17:

>I made that choice so as not to disrupt too many of the other
>settings.
> Squeak uses both Ctrl and Cmd/Alt modifiers, so it's not just a
> matter of changing
>the "main modifier".
>
>The keys I chose to swap were just the ones with common meanings:
>
>defaultCrossPlatformKeys
>	"Answer a list of key letters that are used for common editing
>operations 	on different platforms."
>	^{ $c . $x . $v . $a . $s . $f . $g . $z }

And as it happens those with the common meaning are on Cmd/Alt and not
on Ctrl. Even the rest on Cmd/Alt is more common than the ones on Ctrl
( roughly, e.g. $d $p $i $m $n ). So for Squeak the 'main' modifier is
Cmd/Alt whereas for Windows it is Ctrl. This is the mismatch I talked
of. Duplicating is acknowledging that there are too many shortcuts
anyway. If one wanted to operate with a reasonable subset, it would be
better to have it on this main modifier key, and swapping all letters
would help the help :)

But I know, back then there was a lengthy discussion, which forced you
to implement the duplicate-pref....

regards,
Martin