PackageInfo ... where?

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Sat Oct 11 01:15:48 UTC 2003

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003, Andreas Raab wrote:

> No it really doesn't. When we load a package and explicitly tell the
> installer that this is a DVS/Monticello package which is based on
> PackageInfo then the installer can at least attempt not to throw that
> information away even if DVS/Monticello aren't present.

I agree.  And hopefully this already happens... the MCInstaller, for
example, actually records all of the versioning info (though it can't do
anything meaningful with it) so that it can be used later if Monticello is
ever installed.  If it doesn't also create the PackageInfo instance, it
definitely should.  DVS packages probably don't do this because DVS was
written at a time when PackageInfo wasn't expected to be installed.  But
how many DVS packages are still kicking around anyway?

But the fresh 3.6 image, of course, hasn't been built up from installing
packages (unless you mean the Full image).  So there was never a chance to
record this info.  We could, of course, simply release a changeset to the
update stream that creates whatever PackageInfo instances we want...