PackageInfo ... where?

Göran Krampe goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Sat Oct 11 12:49:39 UTC 2003

Hi guys!

(weekend now so only sporadically reading email)

Citerat från Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com>:
[SNIP]
> This makes it hard to do a reverse lookup - given a method, find which
> package it belongs to.  This is something Goran wants for various
> SM-related tools, and would also be useful in a few other contexts.

Yes, this originates from discussions I had with Daniel here in Stockholm. The
scenario we were discussing is the "I just fixed some bugs and want to get them
collected"-problem. And some more. :-)

Currently you need to be aware of what SM packages the code belongs to (or if it
is still the image), split the changes into separate changesets and then mail
them to the maintainers or to the list.

So this is a long chain of different mechanisms we are talking about but it all
begins with identifying where the affected code belongs. So we need to be able
to go from "code element"(method, class etc)->"in-image package"(today the
closest/only thing is PackageInfo)->"SM package"->"suitable channel for
distribution"(today in SM1 the only thing we can find is the email of the
maintainer).

SM2 will have much better facilities when we have found the SM package. In SM2
each package is owned by an account and that account contains email address and
more. The package itself also has an "Incoming" field (not sure what it will
contain yet, simplest is an email address) and an "Updatestream" (like Andreas
hack, now it is an optional field). Well, I am adding these next week at least. :-)

But the problem of getting to an SM package from a "code element" is still there.

regards, Göran

Göran Krampe, goran.krampe at bluefish.se
GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
Smalltalk - a place where objects live, not a language.