Tests were are you?

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Oct 13 16:11:04 UTC 2003

Hi test-freak,

You are convinced like me that tests are cooooool, the way to go to
allows one to fix, change Squeak, to provide an always in sync
documentation....Perfect.

Now I would like to raise the following discussion (note that my point
is not to increase the number of posts in this list and put the mess
(we should really find a way that harvester can send and use BFAV
without producing so much traffic but this is another discussion;))

My problem with tests are:
	- is that we cannot see them. When I open a full image I do not see
them. Oops there are not there,
	- When I want to write a dummy test, I have to load them, then to
check whether a similar as already been written,
	- If we want to push new people to contribute tests should be always
present, there available at one mouse click,
	- People should learn from the example existing tests,
	- Now we have to go and load them, so this means that they are behind
a wall.
	- Removing tests is easy to do, so there is no problem!

My impression is that this excellent to harvest tests to run a test
server, yes I want more.
So why any Squeak Class would not have a companion testcase class? Why
could not we have the tests in full (with a nice
remove all the ugly tests classes button).

Tell us what you think on that. I have the impression that we could
raise the level of awareness of the tests by some
simple actions. We could then also have some nice conventions that are
so dead simple to follow that we would have
regularity in names and clarity in Tests.

Stef