[FIX] ClassVarsFix-petervr (was:Sharedvariablesbinding/lookupbug)

Peter van Rooijen squeak at vanrooijen.com
Mon Oct 13 17:26:49 UTC 2003

From: <goran.krampe at bluefish.se>
> "Peter van Rooijen" <squeak at vanrooijen.com> wrote:
> > From: "Tim Rowledge" <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu>
> > [snip]
It
> > also
> > for
> > whatever
> > > Excessive humility is at least as big a sin as excessive pride. Say
> > > three Hail Alans and write out the morphic hierarchy 100 times in
> > > expiation.
> >
> > Tim, I have no problem with you, or anyone else, displaying arrogance.
In
> > fact, in most instances, I will enjoy it.
> >
> > At the same time, there is a line between arrogance and verbal abuse.
You
> > have crossed that line in one big step.

Goran,

> Peter - I am pretty sure Tim was joking for most part here.

It is of little consequence. I want to get this bug in Squeaks shared
variable binding fixed. Tim can joke about it all he likes, I don't mind. I
am squarely opposed, however, to not fixing a major bug because Tim has
never been bothered by the bug.

> I thought it
> was pretty funny to read. And you *did* sound pretty ironic (the
> sentence beginning with "You are correct, ...")

That sentence was not ironic. I meant it when I said I don't need to lecture
Tim on how Smalltalk works. In both possible meanings: he does not require
instruction from me, nor do I have a compulsion to instruct him.

The second sentence *was* ironic. Of course I didn't really mean it when I
said his 20 years of doing Smalltalk automatically makes his opinions more
valuable than mine.

Do I really need to explain this?

> so a little "punchback"
> was just to be expected IMHO.

Had he "punched back" by giving real arguments instead of quoting his many
years of experience and his fear of being confused by a correctly working
facility that he doesn't see as useful anyway and would not want to use, I
would have appreciated the "punchback".

> Come on now guys, shake hands and let us continue. :-)

If you want to continue, I suggest you test the fix and post your findings.

Cheers,

Peter van Rooijen
Amsterdam