[m17n] m17n package for 3.6-5424

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Wed Oct 15 02:37:24 UTC 2003

Hehe, its pretty cool to see all those funny characters living together
in my Squeak... :-) I really like this stuff.

Yoshiki Ohshima <Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org> wrote:
>   * Reach a consensus on the file out extension/header issue.  This is
>     essential to make it *fixable* when it is in the main stream.
I tend to go for the extension solution, specifically one where any old
.cs is loaded correctly (running if required the convertor you mentioned
to deal with umlauts and so forth), and UTF8-containing change sets are
called ucs or something like that. Seems to me that this allows maximum
ease of file exchange with future/pasts Squeaks and other Smalltalks,
and a minimum of voodoo.

>   * Font/script unload.
Can you elaborate?

>   * Load .pr files with MacRomans.  I was thinking that adding
>     #classVersion to String class and
>     #convertToCurrentVersion:refStream: to String would do it, but I
>     realized that the latter doesn't get the classVersions of old and
>     new objects.  Probably, I go ahead and modify #verifyStructure.
Ah, that makes sense.

Other small things I note:
1. Harmonization with Babel part that's accepted for image
 - LanguageEnvironment subclasses seem to clash with Babel's Language
subclasses, maybe some renames are in order here or there?.
 - Translation scheme, as you mention
2. A few class comments? there are none there, and having some, at least
for the important conceptual classes would probably be a good idea...
3. PluggableTextMorph menus seem not to quite track language changes - I
changed to various languages, came back to english, and my menus in text
panes are still in japanese.
4. Not sure if this is related, but I'm having trouble looking at
versions for some of the methods. For example, opena changesorter on
system1.st, look at Class>>addClassVarName: versions. For me this brings
up a walkback. Just me?

BTW, where's the main multilingualization web page? I'm curious what
it'll take for me to read my Hebrew email from Squeak... :-)

Daniel