[ENH] Display := when pretty printing ( [sm][et][er][cd] [approved] )

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Wed Oct 15 10:14:02 UTC 2003

Hi Stéphane! (did that look right?)

ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
[SNIP]
> 	-  Then I really wonder why Squeak that tries to be ANSI (you were the
> first one to claim that for initialize)
> 	is not ANSI with assignemnt. This is fun to have different
> compatibility policy. But I can live with that because I do not 	care
> about a bad standard.

I am not sure what ANSI says, but you *can* use ":=" in Squeak. Right?

> 	- Third my goal is that Smalltalk or any new Smalltalk-based-better
> system grows and get more programmers
> 	Now if I want to attract programmers of other languages: I do not know
> any mainstream language (I'm certainly wrong
> 	here again I'm not expert but just an experienced promotor of
> Smalltalk) that does not have an ASCII basis
> 	meaning for me: that I can type with vi (that I hate), emacs or
> **any** text editor.
> 	Or this means that we should be able to say: you want to edit Squeak
> code, ok use this text editor with this encodings

But again, we *can* use ":=". Right?

Sure, you may get fileouts sent to you that use "_" but sure, I can
actually go so far as to say that we could make sure that assignment is
always represented as ":=" in fileouts. :-) But in my image I want the
arrow!!! :-)

[SNIP]
> So as I say I'm wrong but I feel like in a museum sometimes (You know
> if I had a target character with red and white
> I would put it here in the text so that people can shot at me).

:-)

regards, Göran