Monticello: change package cache dir?

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed Oct 22 05:23:09 UTC 2003

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Marcus Denker wrote:

> Problem: Monticello (and SqueakMap) both seem to save the directory
> were I loaded them first inside the image.
>
> So I end up with a monticello that saves happily into the package-cache
> of my master image, not in the directory I would think it should
> (the subdir in the folder the image is in). For the package-cache, this
> is really not what I want.

Well, I agree this can be a problem, but I'm not sure what the solution
is.  For example, it could use a relative path, but I think that in many
cases you don't actually want this - personally, I would want all of my
images to share the *same* package-cache, no matter where they were on my
disk.  Ditto with SM - I don't see much point in having redundant,
project-specific caches.  But obviously this breaks when I move my image
to a different machine (particularly to a different platform).

Anyway, you should at least know how to change the directory:

"use package-cache in the current default dir"
MCCacheRepository resetDefault.

"explicitly choose a directory"
MCCacheRepository default directory: (FileDirectory on: '/some/path').

But any suggestions on how to best handle this are welcome.