[UPDATES] 67 for Squeak3.7alpha

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Wed Oct 22 14:43:59 UTC 2003

Boris Gaertner wrote:

>when I tried to load these updates into the image
>Squeak3.6-5424, I got the message
>'no updates found' from all our servers.
>
>That was not what I expected, I expected to see
>the question "Do you want to update to Squeak 3.7alpha?"
>
>To do something (usually it is better to do something than
>to do nothing :-)  ), I executed this statement:
>
>SystemVersion current version: 'Squeak3.7alpha'; date: '15 October 2003'.
>
>The date is of course arbitraryly choosen, but the magic worked:
>I could download 68 updates. (highest change number is 5497).
>
>My question: Is it possible that we forgot to place a last changeset
>with the question "Do you want to move to Squeak3.7 alpha" into
>the update stream for 3.6 ?

Traditionally (well, at least for the last several releases), we have
not had an option to update from a final version to the next alpha
version.  Usually, if you want to follow the update stream, you should
update from the previous 3.6alpha/beta when it asks, or download a new
alpha image...

However, it wouldn't be hard for me to add such an update to 3.6final,
especially since it seems that there haven't been any urgent bugfixes
needed for 3.6 since its release.  There would be a prompt, of course,
asking if you really want to move from 3.6 final to 3.7alpha.  (We'd
still have the ability to add patches to 3.6final if we really needed to.)

- Doug