[ANN] nouncements via RSS

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Wed Oct 22 18:02:16 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 12:57, Marcus Denker wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 12:48:25PM -0500, Ken Causey wrote:
> > Actually, conceptually speaking I wouldn't think you would want replies
> > to appear.
> >
> Yes, that's of course bad... the thing just uses the [ANN] posting-filter
> that mailman provides. Is it possible to configure this to not show
> replies?

Actually, I think there are two seperate concepts going on here.

1.  The mailman topic setting is intended for human readers who probably
do want to see replies to announcements that carry further information
and discussion.

2.  The RSS list is probably more useful as a publicity measure for ANNs
where the replies are less useful and probably obscutory.

> If that's not possible we could set up a forwarder somewhere else
> that's more intelligent than the mailman topic filter.

When I saw this it occurred to me that it probably would not be hard to
generate an RSS file as part of the BFAV server email reception system.
We would certainly have more fine grained control and would not have to
rely on an "external" service.

Alternatively the best place to do this would probably be within the
list server itself (mailman) since it knows what the links for the web
archives of each post will be.  I haven't yet looked to see if there is
an addon to mailman for that but I sure didn't see any settings in the
administrative interface for it.