[ANN] nouncements via RSS

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Wed Oct 22 18:41:33 UTC 2003

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 01:02:16PM -0500, Ken Causey wrote:
> 1.  The mailman topic setting is intended for human readers who probably
> do want to see replies to announcements that carry further information
> and discussion.
>
> 2.  The RSS list is probably more useful as a publicity measure for ANNs
> where the replies are less useful and probably obscutory.

Yes, that's true. As the number of filters is not limited, we could
set up mailman to provide both.

> Alternatively the best place to do this would probably be within the
> list server itself (mailman) since it knows what the links for the web
> archives of each post will be.  I haven't yet looked to see if there is
> an addon to mailman for that but I sure didn't see any settings in the
> administrative interface for it.

There seem to be two things that hook into mailman:

http://taint.org/mmrss/

the first one is a script that re-parses the archives, another discussed
on that site is a patch for pipermail to provide RSS.

Another script (that I will play with a little, I think) is this:

RSSMail - E-Mail to RSS Script
http://www.eightlinks.com/features/000485.html

It scans a mailbox via POP and generates feeds acording to patterns
that you define. For me personally I will set this up to scan
a dedicated mailbox where I will move all that senseless
low-traffic "read only" mailinglist subscriptions (e.g. DNRC).

   Marcus

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de  -- Squeak! http://squeak.de