Exploring Zope and ZPatterns [WEB] [IDEA]

Eric Merritt cyberlync at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 23 15:23:07 UTC 2003

> I'd like to get your attention about ZPatterns, a
> Zope framework..

 The zope framework is very nice once you get over the
rather steep learning curve.

> The first stable releas of Zope popped up around the
> 1999,
> so Zope is not so "young".

 From what I understand its quite stable, though they
do recomend that you not use the built in zope web
server in a production environment.

> First the bad news: in my own opinion Zope is
> difficult to understand
> and use, at
> least at the first impact and for non-geeks.

 That is the case, then again it is targeted at
developers so thats to be expected.

> Security is good but not strong: you can always
> install a malicious
> Product (zope name for applications) which dismiss
> your site ;(

  Thats a problem with any plugin that you wish to
give reasonable power too. The fact that products can
only be installed on the machine in which zope is
running provides some security against arbitrary code.
The machine owner has to install it so its assumed he
knows what he is installing.

> You must know Python.
> You must know well how use object oriented db.

 True, but to be expected as well.

> The good news:
> - Zope came with a transactional OO DB

  ZODB is a nice database, there are equivilents in
smalltalk however.

> - Zope can scale

Only with the ZEOS addon, granted this addon if open
and free.

> - Zope is documented quite well.

 This is generally true, although at times and for
some situations to documentation is lacking.
Fortunatly the mailing list is quite helpfull.

> The ZPatterns are a zope app/framwork for decoupling
> View, Data Model, Data Aggregation, Data Access (via
> SQL/OO DB)

> I am exploring this idea, for seeing if it would be
> possible to think
> and then build
> a publishing framework in Squeak, using the ideas of
> Zope.
> Seaside looks impressive for doing this.

 It should be pretty simple in squeak. I am about
halfway through a similar task in java and it hasn't
proven too dificult. I suspect that doing it in squeak
would be much much simpler.

> Someone has already done something of similar?
> What do you think of Zope?

 Zope is an excellent product. I wouldn't mind seeing
zope-alikes for other langauges.