Exploring Zope and ZPatterns [WEB] [IDEA]

Giovanni Giorgi giovanni.giorgi at objectway.it
Thu Oct 23 14:04:17 UTC 2003

I'd like to get your attention about ZPatterns, a Zope framework..

The first stable releas of Zope popped up around the 1999,
so Zope is not so "young".

First the bad news: in my own opinion Zope is difficult to understand
and use, at
least at the first impact and for non-geeks.
Security is good but not strong: you can always install a malicious
Product (zope name for applications) which dismiss your site ;(
You must know Python.
You must know well how use object oriented db.

The good news:
 - Zope came with a transactional OO DB
 - Zope can scale
 - Zope is documented quite well.

The ZPatterns are a zope app/framwork for decoupling
View, Data Model, Data Aggregation, Data Access (via SQL/OO DB)

In short, ZPatterns add a good number of layers to a webapp.
With ZPatterns you can map different object (for example a wife and a
supermodel)
into the same DB model, integrating the application in the mid-tier.

Neverless the two app must be build in Zope.

It is not simple to explain, so I will redirect you to
http://zope.org/Members/pje/Wikis/ZPatterns/HomePage/view
http://zope.org/Members/pje/ZPatterns

I am exploring this idea, for seeing if it would be possible to think
and then build
a publishing framework in Squeak, using the ideas of Zope.
Seaside looks impressive for doing this.

Someone has already done something of similar?
What do you think of Zope?

Ciao ciao ;)

Links:
http://zope.org/WhatIsZope/ZopeArchitecture
http://zope.org/Products/Zope

 Giovanni Giorgi               ObjectWay SpA - Milano
 http://www.objectway.it    via Boltraffio, 7 - 20156 Milano