Two 3.6 issues

Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus schwa at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Oct 24 04:12:47 UTC 2003

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 04:21:07PM +1300, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
> I'm marking a student assignment that was written in Squeak.
> Several issues came up.  For example, they had no class comments
> at all.  I know that seems to be Squeak state of the art, but it
> would be nice to have a "nag" mode where every time you touch a
> class that has no comment you'd be reminded about it.  It would
> certainly have made my life pleasanter...  But that's not 3.6

Just take marks off for it.  That's what we do at Georgia Tech, and
it works great! :-)

<snip>

> (2) They used AlignmentMorph a lot.  I thought AlignmentMorph was
> obsolete, with Morphs able to do all that grid layout stuff anyway.
> They said that it was because they drew their game characters in
> Squeak and found AlignmentMorphs that way.   *SHOULD* people be
> using AlignmentMorph in new code?  (I will certainly not penalise
> them for doing so, even if the answer is no.)

I think that AlignmentMorphs use the new grid layout stuff, and are
harmless to mix with other morphs using the layout code.  They have
some convenient methods like 'AlignmentMorph newColumn' that don't
exist in Morph, but that's about it (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

> They also had a fairly severe performance problem; they wanted to have
> a grid SketchMorphs, but on a 1.5GHz machine it took *ages* for the
> grid to be displayed.  Saving the sketches as GIF files and then using
> ImageMorphs instead fixed most of the problem, but why was it so slow
> to have a grid (about 12 x 20, IIRC) of sketches?

Dunno.

Joshua