Exploring Zope and ZPatterns [WEB] [IDEA]

Nicolas Boretos Nicolasb at maich.gr
Fri Oct 24 12:04:08 UTC 2003

Avi Bryant wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
>

>>Aah! And you all stole it from HttpView! Muuahahaha!
>>
>>Well, not exactly true of course - but I think Avi was "inspired" by the
>>HtmlBuilder etc in HttpView.
>>

>;)
>
>Yes, true - HttpView inspired me to ditch templates and focus on
>programmatic HTML generation, a decision that I'm extremely happy with.
>The actual mechanics of the HtmlRenderer that Seaside and SmallWiki use,
>however, are quite different from HttpView's.
>

>>And no - HttpView is not as advanced as Seaside, but it is pretty nifty
>>in itself. And soon there will be a nice article to read with samples
>>etc! :-)
>>

>I know competition is a useful force and all, but it feels like we ought
>to be able to share more code than we do... what would you say is the
>"essence" of HttpView, and mightn't we be able to plug that into Seaside
>at some level?  Or is the essence of HttpView that it has very few
>dependencies? ;)
>
>Avi
>

>.

Hi,

I am a new Squeak/ST "struggler" but use Tcl quite alot. It might be
worthwhile to take a look at tclhttpd,
an web/application server written in tcl. It does quite alot of cool
things such as

Templates that mix code and html
Application direct urls that map urls onto procs
Document handlers that map doc types to procs
Domain handlers etc...

Also has the ability to use many external packages, Xmlgen, htmlgen, dom
blah..
Essentially, whatever lib is available for tcl runs under tclhttpd....

The main use of tclhttpd is to embedd it into an app, thus web enabling
it...

This link gives an overview of the server...

http://www.beedub.com/book/3rd/tclhttpd.pdf

Anyway, this post is meant to be constructive, so no flames...

regards,

nicolas boretos
P.S I am about to giveSeaside a whirl....