short cut keys in Squeak environment

Martin Wirblat sql.mawi at t-link.de
Sat Oct 25 12:53:57 UTC 2003

The left alt+shift key is the modifier combination which switches in
default windows the keyboard to another layout ( e.g. american ). Most
people don't know this, and they don't stumble accidently over it,
because they mostly use the ctrl-key. But then they meet Squeak and
suddenly their Squeak is not accepting umlauts anymore....

The win-vm clipboard converts characters from iso to mac roman, but
the filesystem does not. The help text for the keyboard is not precise
for other platforms than Mac. This switching might result in serious
confusion for beginners. The first thought for them then might be:
Squeak is not stable. Perhaps it is their last thought about Squeak
too.

So having the alt-key with other modifiers together in use is a
barrier of entry, and a help text which is not precise, adds to that
( 'Shift-Alt on other platforms; sometimes Ctrl works too' ).

Having copy, cut and paste not where they used to be, is of course
problematic in itself. In Germany took a long debate place about
Windows vs Opensource in government offices. At one point Opensource
was rejected mainly because the copy/cut/paste-problem!

My suggestion would be a preference to switch all hotkeys, i.e. to
simply switch the modifiers, and to somehow have under windows this
preference enabled. This would simplify an updated help text too.

If single keybindings could be rearranged, my suggestion would be:
1.modifier key ( ctrl for windows ) for real text operations
2.modifier key ( alt for windows ) for popping up browsers etc

regards
Martin