GMT nasty problem [Q]

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Oct 27 03:50:34 UTC 2003

On Sun, Oct 26, 2003 at 09:22:13PM +0100, Giovanni Giorgi wrote:
> Hi All!
>     I need to print a date in GMT form (RFC-822), like in unix date command:
>
>     $ date -R
>     Sun, 26 Oct 2003 20:17:49 +0100
>
> I must print it inside squeak ;) but obtaining the GMT seems hard.
> I have gone around the Time  & TimeStamp classes but without so much
> success.
> There is a way to get this information by the underlying operating system?

See TimeZoneDatabase on SqueakMap, and on the sqwiki at
<http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1076>. You can use this to obtain the
offsets from GMT for any time zone. It also includes a plugin for Unix/Linux that gets
the information from the underlying operating system. There are also several
flavors of time and date formatting on Squeak Map. Todd Blanchard has added
ISO 8601 time and date formatting and timestamps to TimeZoneDatabase, registered
on Squeak Map as TimeZoneDBWithTimeStamp. Brent Pinkney has done the Chronology
classes package on Squeak Map, which handles date and time formatting. And
I think that Richard Harmon's ANSI compatibility package on SqueakMap also
does this.

Dave