Exploring Zope [WEB] [IDEA] [2]

Giovanni Giorgi jj at objectsroot.com
Mon Oct 27 14:09:59 UTC 2003

Lukas Renggli ha scritto in data 23/10/2003 21.55:

>>>- I do not like to work with request and response directly,
>>>this is too low-level to build real applications. Seaside
>>>and SmallWiki both have nice concepts to avoid working with
>>>header-fields.
>>>

>>what  is thekind of mechanism they use to handle with header fields?
>>

>Assigning a block to a link, button or input-field. When the page is
>submitted or the link is requested, that block will be evaluated and all
>the necessary arguments will be prepared and passed into that block.

Seaside offer a similar powerful view.
Zope has a problem: it is less easy to use than Java Servlets or Java
Portlet.

> [...]
>
>- Something what I always missed in Zope is that Python is unable to
>tell if a particular file is still being used by some other component or
>not (like the senders of a message).

This is a big problem.
It lacks of strong browser/dependence track mechanism.
Wrost, because it has a strong OO Nature, when you upgrade a Product
from version 1 to versione 2 you can get the system unusable because the
old object created con version 1 can be different from the new of version 2.
Into Squeak this is less difficult to solve, in my all-day experience.

Eric Merrit wrote:

> The zope framework is very nice once you get over the
>rather steep learning curve.

Yes but this is a BIG problem.
You can be productive in seaside in one day. In Java Servlet in one week.
In Zope? Someone can show some successful stories?
The lack of a debugger is not a big problem if Zope could provide a
goood dev env,
but the Browser-based interface is difficult to use for editing python
scripts.
You must enter python-tab-chars inside textareas...not so easy :(

 Giovanni Giorgi               ObjectWay SpA - Milano
 http://www.objectway.it    via Boltraffio, 7 - 20156 Milano