[newbie] How to strip off Morphic, Balloon, etc...

mayureshkathe at softhome.net mayureshkathe at softhome.net
Mon Oct 27 15:24:32 UTC 2003

Hi,

"Boris Gaertner" <Boris.Gaertner at gmx.net> wrote:

> This were excellent machines to run Smalltalk V/286. It is really a
> pitty that this small and beautiful Smalltalk became unavailable
> (reportedly for copyright reasons). I miss it a lot!

I too miss the old MVC only systems a lot...  :)

> Now to your questions:
>
> You asked about  a tutorial for MVC. I do not know about a
> tutorial that is tailored to Squeak, but there is a wonderful
> tutorial for Smalltalk-80:
> www.ccmrc.ucsb.edu/~stp/PostScript/mvc.pdf
> written by Glenn Krasner ans Stephen Pope.

Thanks for that...

> Shrinking the image:
> The methods to do that are implemented in the instance protocol
> of class   SystemDictionary. The most promising method
> there is  #majorShrink, but that does not work in Squeak 3.6
> (I tried it yesterday). I will try to figure out what wents wrong,
> but that may take some time.

Sure as and when you get time...
But it would surely be great to have a MVC only system...
I have created a small set of instructions which can be executed to get
the kind of shrinkage I got , please use the following text...

~Mayuresh

SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Network-EToy Communications'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Network-TelNet WordNet'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Network-Web Browser'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Network-Mail Reader'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Network-IRC Chat'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Network-Audio Chat'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Kernel'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Basic'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Worlds'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Support'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Text Support'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Widgets'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Demo'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Models'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Windows'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Menus'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Components'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Components Built'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Scripting'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Scripting Support'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Scripting Tiles'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Books'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Palettes'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Games'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Buttons'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Flaps'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-PartsBin'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Collaborative'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Games-Chess'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Borders'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Experimental'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Postscript Canvases'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Postscript Filters'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-UserObjects'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-GeeMail'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-PDA'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Events'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Tile Scriptors'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Stacks'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Layouts'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Navigators'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Outliner'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Remote'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Morphic-Undo'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Movies-Player'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Movies-Kernel'.

SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon-Geometry'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon-Fills'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon-Collections'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon-Simulation'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon-Engine'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon-TrueType Fonts'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon-TrueType Support'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon-MMFlash Morphs'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon-MMFlash Import'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon-MMFlash Support'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-Demo Morphs'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-Viewing'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-Engine'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-Vectors'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-Objects'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-Lights'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-Meshes'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-Arrays'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-Import'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-PrimitiveEngine'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-Acceleration'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-Wonderland Time'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-Wonderland Objects'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-Wonderland Misc'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-Wonderland Undo'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-Wonderland Core'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-Wonderland Morphs'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-Wonderland Mesh'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-Wonderland Lights'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-Alice Misc'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-Alice Cast'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-Alice Time'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-Alice Scripts'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-Alice Worlds'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-Alice Undo'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-Alice Interface'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-VRML BaseNodes'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-VRML Definition'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-UserObjects'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'Balloon3D-Pooh'.

SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'FFI-Kernel'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'FFI-Plugin'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'FFI-Examples-MacOS'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'FFI-Examples-Win32'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'FFI-Examples-X11'.

SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'StarSqueak-Kernel'.
SystemOrganization removeSystemCategory: 'StarSqueak-Worlds'.

"Remove all projects but the current one.  - saves 522k"
ProjectView allInstancesDo: [:pv | pv controller
closeAndUnscheduleNoTerminate].
Project current setParent: Project current.

3 timesRepeat: [
	Smalltalk garbageCollect.
	Symbol compactSymbolTable.
].