[newbie] How to strip off Morphic, Balloon, etc...

Noury Bouraqadi bouraqadi at ensm-douai.fr
Tue Oct 28 10:25:47 UTC 2003

Hi,

goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:

>[...]
>For starters you can get the image size fairly easy down to about 5 Mb without
>actually removing anything at all, still full tools and Morphic.

How can reduce the image size to 5Mb ?

I tried with 3.6Basic and used all the removal stuff I found in
SqueakMap. Then, I removed Genie as described in "majorShrink" page. I
got an image arround 7.5Mb.

Then I tried removeallUnsentMessages... Its a dangerous operation as
mentionned in the page.
The evaluation of the provided code opened the emergency debugger and I
had no choice except killing Squeak.

So, I tried to remove the unsent messages by succesive doits (no loop).
I could repeat the operation (I tried at least 3 times) and got an image
with 6.8Mb and some debuggers opennings. But,  when I tried to remove
unused classes emergency debugger shows up...

>It was a while back when I did this, I think others have been doing it
>more recently, especially the "PDA guys".

Any link to this work ?

Regards,
Noury

Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. G.I.P
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury

European Smalltalk Users Group
http://www.esug.org