Exploring Zope

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Tue Oct 28 18:55:46 UTC 2003

Roberto Amorim wrote:

>I used to think the same way until I got to know ZPT (Zope Templates). They
>succeed in making interaction between designers and developers a breeze,
>when coupled with Zope's object model. Really interesting, and I'd recommend
>you to try it to see for yourself.

Roberto,

I believe the interesting feature of ZPT is that they introduce no
custom tags, but instead let you use special attributes on normal HTML
tags, like placing a looping attribute on a <tr>, correct?

As template systems go, I like this approach.  I've released a couple of
frameworks that do exactly this (IOWA, and Seaside 0.9x), the earliest
of which I'm pretty sure predates ZPT.  I actually took things a little
bit further, in that you could use any normal *attribute* simply by
putting a "@"  at the beginning of the attribute value to mark it as
containing special information.  This means that you can use the default
dialogs for, eg, the href of an <a> tag, that WYSIWYG editors provide.
Colin's Nori package for Seaside2 carries on this strategy.

So when I enumerated the ways that templates suck, it was certainly with
this kind of template in mind.  Although it's definitely preferable to
embedded code, it doesn't change any of the fundamental problems.