Exploring Zope

John Maxwell jmax at sfu.ca
Wed Oct 29 18:34:05 UTC 2003

ducasse wrote:

> could you tell us a word or more ;) on acquisition?

Thanks Eric for the detail...

The real short answer is: out of the box, Zope gives you two kinds of
inheritance. The first is regular class inheritance; the second is
acquisition, which, in the webserver metaphor means that if I have an
object (an image, for instance) available in the namespace at the top
of the hierarchy, I can refer to it "locally" six folders down. This is
incredibly handy for web work, because, for instance, you can build a
single navigation system at the top level and simply refer to it all
the way down the tree. Zope's built-in security/access model lends
itself really nicely to this, too.

  - John Maxwell
    jmax at sfu.ca