Two 3.6 issues

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Wed Oct 29 21:58:45 UTC 2003

I reported that some students of mine wanted to have a grid of SketchMorphs.
Let me explain a bit further.  They were supposed to be implementing a
"Rogue-like" game.  They used the painting tool draw "tiles" for the ground
(dark), the ground (lit), the player, various monsters, various items of
food, and so on.  These sketches were far more complex than any sketches
I've ever done.  Their idea was to just place these SketchMorphs in an
AlignmentMorph, in this case a grid of 11 rows and 21 columns, so 231 sketches.
Unfortunately, it took an excessively long time for this to be displayed.

Daniel Vainsencher <danielv at netvision.net.il> replied:
	Did you run it through the profiler? ("start/browse MessageTally")

Yes, of course.  First tool you reach for when something's slow.
That's how come I was able to tell them that the problem was the use
of SketchMorphs.  The code in question no longer exists, so I can't
reproduce it, but there was much mention of transformations.
There didn't seem to be any easy way for them to eliminate the stuff that
was going on, so they gave up automatic resizing, saved the sketches out
as GIFs, and used images.

I just wanted to know if this was a known problem with SketchMorphs.

PS: is there any reason why (a SketchMorph) deepCopy should pop up an
error notifier saying "Please use veryDeepCopy" rather than just going
ahead and doing the veryDeepCopy?