Font problems with 3.6

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Thu Oct 30 15:20:46 UTC 2003

Vincent Coetzee wrote:

> I am an old Smalltalker but a relatively unskilled Squeaker. I am
> successfully managing to load TT fonts into Squeak, but when I attempt
> to use them they are fuzzy and do not inverse or draw properly. Is this
> a bug, a peculiarity of the fonts that I am using or do I have to do
> something first to make them work properly ? By the way I am trying to
> load arial.ttf, verdana.ttf and virtue.ttf.

The stock TTF support in 3.6/3.7a does not have hinted antialiasing. As
a result, the edges tend to be fuzzy (for me, too fuzzy to use as body
text below about 16 pt.).

I am looking into incorporating the recent FreeType/2 work, which will
allow us to have much better anti-aliasing.

However, the highlighting and drawing should work in the existing fonts.

Can you tell us what version of Squeak you have and how you're seeing
inverse and drawing problems?