Font problems with 3.6

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Thu Oct 30 15:47:03 UTC 2003

Ned,

You should look very carefully at the Cairo work
(www.cairographics.org).  You can see some samples of
what it can do (dated; it does much more than this now),
by looking on the status page for www.xsvg.org. xsvg hasn't
yet been updated to actually take advantage of where
cairo has gotten to, but it will give you a taste
for the quality of the graphics, which
is the highest quality 2D AA graphics around.

It is (re) implementing basic text stuff as has been done
on Linux in Xft2 (including the flat panel subpixel
decimation work), and doing so in a operating system portable
way (with one requirement of making it possible to do
rendering to memory on a pixel for pixel identical way across
platforms).  So using it I believe should meet Squeak's need
for platform portability.  Note that Cairo is not trying
to do full I18N layout; the text stuff is mostly for simple
applications, expecting that toolkits (like GTK/Pango) do the
full I18N layout problem.

Note that Freetype2 is only part of the entire puzzle; the
additional work has been done in Xft2 (and shortly, Cairo).

I think it is mostly running on Windows as well as Linux now,
though I don't know if the patches have been incorporated into
CVS yet.  It seems to be reaching critical mass as an open
source project, and multiple language bindings are already
under development.  Adding a smalltalk binding should be easy.
                            - Jim

--
Jim Gettys <Jim.Gettys at hp.com>
HP Labs, Cambridge Research Laboratory