[Q] mouseOverForKeyboardFocus preference

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Oct 30 22:08:08 UTC 2003

"Hernan Tylim" <htylim at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> 	I have always thought that mouseOverForKeyboardFocus on false meant the
> classic windows-style keyboard focus behaviour. That is: click gains focus
> and the focus stays until someone clicks in another place or the morph is
> deleted.

Squeak's behavior regarding keyboard focus seems to have grown rather
than being designed.  The semantics you describe sound sensible to me,
so if anyone wants to implement it that would seem great. It seems quite
silly to require a click into a window to grab focus, but then to lose
focus as the mouse moves around.  It's the worst of both focus styles!

It turns out to be quite easy to mess with this kind of thing.  There
are only about 50 senders of the various keyboard focus methods in
Squeak 3.6, and so a person can really make an exhaustive pass of the
image with no trouble and set up *everything* to act the way they like.
The relevant methods are newKeyboardFocus:, releaseKeyboardFocus:, and
releaseKeyboardFocus.  (Or maybe 1-2 more; go browse HandMorph to see.)

-Lex